A 2,000-degree river of molten rock is streaming towards 12 homes and businesses in Pahoe, Hawaii. Lava from the Kilauea Volcano on Hawaii’s Big Island inches towards homes and businesses in Pahoa. Officials are now preparing families to begin evacuations. The dark ooze from the exasperating heat of the lava has swallowed up fences, flowed over a cemetery and neared major roads. On Tuesday morning, it set a wooden garden shed ablaze. The damage its causing is very fatal and can, in affect burn down peoples homes to nothing. In some places the lava is chest high! The Hawaii officials haven’t issued a mandatory evacuation yet. But many residents in the community have already chosen to leave on their own. The evacuations, if they occur, would be among the first to take place since the slow-moving lava flow began moving towards Pahoa in June. A result of the lava flowing is the liquid rock left behind in its trails. This is very dangerous for those who own homes, and to the environment.
The smoke is a problem for residents, especially those with respiratory conditions. Some evacuated homes are being targeted by looters and taking advantage of this situation. This eruption and lava flow is not a surprise though. It started June 27 and has advanced about 13 miles since then and is one of the world’s most active volcanoes.
Visit this link to see a video:
Some images of the lava flow are shown below:
S9ome debriefs given in the relating articles:
- Civil Defense reports that at 4:30 a.m. Tuesday, the lava flow entered onto private proprty. It went 20 yards in about 4 hours. Shortly after 7 a.m. on an adjacent property, the flow burned down a 115 sq. ft. wooden structure being used for agricultural purposes. There were no hazardous materials inside.
- The residential building identified yesterday as being 100 yards away from the advancing flow is still standing.
- Pahoa Village Road remains closed between Apa’a and Post Office Road. On Pahoa Village Road, utility companies are working on their infrastructure.
One mess-up or seven intentions? Our person of interest for the seven ( seeming to be connected ) murders of women in Indiana has been held in prison. The Indiana-born Vann has a past as a convicted sex offender from Austin, Texas however, he is not registered as a sex offender. He was convicted for aggravated rape in 2009 and spent the next five years in jail. He was released in 2013 and headed for Indiana. The court also obtains records of a breaking and entering attempt made by Vann.
Vann confessed to killing the 7 women and may be responsible for several other victims in Northwest Indiana dating back to the 1990’s. Van is 43 years of age and he claims to officer John Doughty the he had ” messed up” in committing the latest killing of Afrika Hardy. The police in Hammond we’re let to Vann after finding Hardy ( age 19 ) at a motel 6 on Friday October 17th. She had been strangled, according to the Lake County coroner’s office. Vann’s solicited scheme, through a website called Chicagobackpage.com is what lured her to him. The information regarding the Motel incident came from a friend of Hardy’s and phone numbers used to track down Vann. During a police interrogation, Vann allegedly admitted his actions in Hardy’s killing, and then led them to other several killings he took part of.
Vann led the police to three more killings in Gary. Among the victims were Aniths Jones (35), Teairra Batey (28), and Christine Williams (36). The “facilitator” allegedly the one who went to check on Hardy when she didn’t return home, found her body in the bath tub of the motel. Using a phone number provided by the facilitator, police electronically tracked Vann down. The police sent out for a search warrant Vann had driven to the motel, and to search his home. The search turned up similar clothing to the clothing worn by a man captured on surveillance video at the hotel, the same brand condoms found inside the room, and a cell phone that matched the description of Hardy’s. As well as these three items, vann was wearing a shirt with a missing button. There was one button found inside the room where Hardy was killed. The shirt the police questioned Vann in had the same buttons, with one missing. The button in the room was a match.
Th read more about this case and keep up to date with it click on the links below:
For videos on this case and news following please visit these websites to view the media. They are informational and give you the basic run down as to what Vann is really all about.
Foreign Policy is the government’s strategy in dealing with other nations. The approaches are strategically employed to interact with other countries. Thus, being called foreign policy analysis. U.S. foreign policy affects almost every aspect of our daily lives. Prices, jobs, the supply of gasoline, taxes, and the life and death of our nation’s soldiers are impacted by how we interact with the rest of the world. Foreign policy is important because the world relies on others for economics and military support.
The goals of US Foreign policy consist of national security, free and open trade, world peace democratic government, and concern for humanity. Henery Kissinger was a key figure in articulating U.S. foreign policy. Americans think protecting the U.S. is most important because they want to focus more on challenges at home. I however feel that we should focus more on terrorist attacks and trade with other countries. We also should build our ally’s to help protect us when were in trouble. Our country on a whole should have a say on global matters, issues, and decisions. National interest, Democratic ideals, and Defense Department (originally War Dept) vs. State Department determine U.S. foreign policy. some facts that influence foreign policy are geography, military needs/power, economic needs/power, ethnic/cultural ties, and history.
The four phases of foreign policy are
- ISOLATIONISM (1789 – 1890s) Nonentanglement
- CONTINENTAL EXPANSION (1830 – 1890)Manifest Destiny
- THE COLD WAR (1945-1991) anti-communist
- IMPERIALISM (1890s to ….) Expanding U.S. Power, Land, Values around the world
Some foreign policy guidelines are:
- Humanitarian Relief: sending help to other countries to relieve suffering after a natural disaster or other tragedy
- Protecting Human Rights: using military force to protect people from having their human rights violated
- Stopping Aggression: using military force to protect other countries from attack by others
- Establishing Democracy: Intervening in other countries to help them develop democratic government
- National Security: taking action to protect US borders or US citizens against attack
- Economic Interests: getting involved in other countries to protect profiles of US businesses and resources US economy needs.
- Preserving World Peace: mediate disputes to solve international conflicts between others
Fundamentally, I believe the ultimate purpose of our foreign policy must be to protect the liberty of the United States. The American Revolution was fought to establish a nation of liberty. That liberty has been defended in many wars since that day and has enabled our people to increase steadily their material welfare and their spiritual freedom. To achieve that liberty we have gone to war, and to protect it we would go to war again. Overall, foreign policy is important in the decisions and courses of action used to solve problems.
For fun facts on Foreign Policy click here.